Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 57

Thread: Horniest board member?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Horniest board member?

    Quote Originally Posted by aeyb701 View Post
    ... I see I am not far off what would qualify as someone observed for the show "Hoarders". My wife certainly thinks so.

    Jon A.
    Additional food for thought. When Hoarders comes on, flip over to History Channel's American Pickers for a 180 POV... Trash or treasure is certainly in the eye of the beholder.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Horniest board member?

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post

    Yeah that is gonna be my other motivation for downsizing. This stuff really should be used not just looked at.
    Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post

    My Q was inspired by a guitar "collector" I know... dozens of vintage Strats and Les Pauls just gathering dust, and the guy can't even play. All those voices silenced in the name of "collectability"...
    I couldn't agree more with you guys. The fact that all of this vintage Altec gear is no longer being manufactured combined with the fact that it is (IMHO) some of the best audio gear ever manufactured, makes this stuff precious. To hoard as much of it as possible and never use much of it is really a waste--if enough people do that it makes it much more difficult for people who'd like to own and use some great vintage Altec gear to find/afford it (since excessive hoarding by enough people can make this stuff harder to find which can make prices high for what is out there for sale--supply/demand). I have a feeling the people on this message board who own tons of this gear actually use much of it or are in the process of using it for future projects etc. and probably sell most of the stuff they know for a fact they'll never use (which in my opinion, means they are not hoarders). They are part of the solution, and not the problem since they no doubt also promote this gear/GPA (which keeps much of this gear "alive") not only through this forum (and possibly other online forums) but through interaction with friends etc.

    I currently own three pair of vintage Altecs--in three different rooms of the house, and use all of them. I have a pair of Heathkit AS-101's in my living room for my stereo and tv/dvd etc. (which were manufactured "stock" with Valencia drivers in Heathkit cabinets), a pair of Model 19's in my (finished basement) rec. room for my downstairs stereo/tv/dvd etc. (man-cave--gives the wife a break when my friends and I listen/hang out down there), and a pair of Valencias in my recording studio/rehearsal studio for my (rock) band (finished basement-biggest room). All three pair of these speakers are used multiple times pretty much every week. I'm happy to say I'm following in the footsteps of the two people I quoted above--I have always sold gear once I knew I'd never use it again. For example, last fall, when I bought my model 19's, I sold a pair of PA speakers (various Altec VOTT drivers/crossovers in home made cabs), and a pair of Altec Model 9's to a local musician/audio enthusiast through craigslist who was thrilled to acquire them after stopping by to audition them and hearing how great this vintage Altec gear sounded. I've also sold all my various amplification etc. that I no longer use such as a Dynaco PAS-3X, Dynaco Stereo 70 (both tube), Dynaco Stereo 120 and 150, Phase Linear 4000 (auto-correlation preamp) and Phase Linear 400 Power Amp, Crown preamp (years ago--gold in color--forgot model #), etc. not to mention various guitars, keyboards, basses through the years (Fender Acoustic and electrics & Precision Bass, Gibsons (SG, etc.), Martin acoustic, Takamine Acoustics, Ibanez Electrics, Yamaha DX7, Ensoniq Samplers, etc, etc. I think my keyboard is running out of ink......)

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Horniest board member?

    Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    Additional food for thought. When Hoarders comes on, flip over to History Channel's American Pickers for a 180 POV... Trash or treasure is certainly in the eye of the beholder.

    I like Hoarders. I also watch the TLC version. I hope you aren't keeping adult diapers, and letting the goats eat a hole in your house, bfish.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member amandarae's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2008
    Posts
    259
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool Re: Horniest board member?

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Not what you think, get your mind out of the gutter.



    8 ea 511B's
    2 ea 811's

    3 cast aluminum 32b

    4 multicells. Somewhere still is a pair of 311-90 I haven't found since the move.

    Plus I have the horns in my 604's and a pair in Valencias.

    Haven't got to counting LF horns yet.

    Anybody else a packrat?:2thumbsup:
    Speechless! Please don't forget me when you finally consider selling some of these O' wise one!
    QNME In Retro!

  5. #5
    Hostboard Member BoydB's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2005
    Posts
    43
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Horniest board member?

    HF horns--

    1 pair 1803B
    1 pair 1003B
    1 pair 203B
    1 pair 1505B
    1 pair 805B
    2 pair 311-60

    plus various pairs of EV, Vitavox, Edgar, Sierra-Brooks, and DIY conicals

    Woofer horn boxes-- 19 total from Altec, RCA, Community, EV, etc.

    has anybody started a 12-step program for us horn addicts?? :2thumbsup:

    Boyd

  6. #6
    HB Super Moderator
    Horniest board member?


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Horniest board member?

    Quote Originally Posted by BoydB View Post
    has anybody started a 12-step program for us horn addicts?? :2thumbsup:

    Boyd

    I think we just did :2thumbsup:


    John

  7. #7
    Hostboard Member cholt's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 17th, 2002
    Posts
    47
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Horniest board member?

    After a bit of negotiation:

    1. 1 set 1803 (Yes!!!!!)
    2. 1 1804
    3. 1 set 1003b
    4. 4 sets MR 94
    5. 4 sets MR 64
    7. 2 sets MR42
    8. 3 VIR
    9. 1 set NOS 311 90
    10. 1 set 311 60
    11. 3 sets 1505 tar filled
    12. 2 sets 804 tar filled
    13. 3 1005 tar filled
    14. 3 sets MR945s
    15. many 511B, one set 511A, many 811 B, many MR 931
    16. two sets MR 994, many MR 594

    I'm sure I can track down a few more......

    One good lawyer..........................

    Curt

  8. #8
    Inactive Member jnorv's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    220
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Horniest board member?

    How do you ship the big horns? I got my 1005's from a local and drove them home in my Pickup. I drove my MR94's home from LA in a rental truck. I gave up on T Brennan's offer of free tar filled when I could not figure how to get them as checked luggage on a flight back from ChiTown.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member gvasale's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2005
    Location
    Webster, Ma
    Posts
    215
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Horniest board member?

    well. mine are longer, that is when I put them back together. How many of these do you think survive? Notice the dual badge, WE (ERPI) and Victor (not RCA Victor). Comments?

    scan0002 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

    erpi on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Horniest board member?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Horniest board member?

    Quote Originally Posted by cholt View Post
    After a bit of negotiation:

    1 set 1803 (Yes!!!!!)


    Curt
    If you wanted to cheat, technically that is 36 horns
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.